Monday, September 15, 2014

Swiss Chard Gratin with Cheese

LehtPeet 05

Recipe by Pille @ Nami-NamiAll photos by Juta Kübarsepp for the September 2014 issue of Kodu ja Aed ("Home and Garden"), an Estonian monthly magazine. I've been their food writer since October 2012. 

There's this wonderful cauliflower cheese recipe that I make pretty regularly, as it's super easy, quick, tasty and flavoursome. It's also gluten-free and low-carb, and I always have some cheese and mustard and cream in the fridge. Early this summer I realised that exactly the same cheese-cream-mustard topping works spectacularly well with Swiss chard stems and leaves. I grow around three or four varieties of Swiss chard in my garden, and they thrive well, so I've got a steady supply of those nutritious leafy greens.

This dish looks especially pretty when you use bright and colourful Swiss chard (also known as mangold, silverbeet, rainbow chard). Here's the selection from my garden:

Swiss chard. Lehtpeet ehk mangold.

Swiss chard with cheese and cream
(Juustu-lehtpeedivorm)
Serves 4

 LehtPeet 04

a good bunch of Swiss chard (about 400-450 grams)
200 ml double cream
1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
150 g cheese, shredded
salt and black pepper

Separate the ribs/stems from the greens. Cut the ribs into 5 cm/2 inch pieces. Blanch the ribs in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until they soften. Then add the leaves, and cook for another minute. Drain thoroughly.

Mix the cream and mustard, fold in most of the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Add the Swiss chard stems and leaves.

Transfer the mixture into a buttered oven dish, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake in the middle of a preheated 200 C/400 F oven for about 30 minutes, until the gratin is lovely golden and crisp on top.

Serve and enjoy.

Swiss chard. Lehtpeet ehk mangold.

More Swiss chard gratin recipes:
Swiss chard gratin by Alanna @ A Veggie Venture
Baked Swiss chard stems with olive oil and Parmesan by Kalyn @ Kalyn's Kitchen
Swiss chard gratin with vegan bechamel by Clotilde @ Chocolate and Zucchini
Swiss chard gratin @ Whole Foods
Swiss chard gratin by Phoebe @ Feed Me Phoebe
Swiss chard au gratin @ Rachel Ray
Alice Waters' Swiss chard gratin @ Serious Eats

8 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I absolutely adore dishes like this cheesy, leafy and so full of flavors!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Beautiful -- we “ignored” some swiss chard in pots all summer long, it was planted for color not eating and it’s growing like crazy now that the weather is cooling down! PS Love the simplicity of your recipe, mine is WAY too complicated. xo

Kalyn Denny said...

This sounds delicious with just enough cheesy creaminess to make it good!

Mudassir Rashid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mudassir Rashid said...

Amazing and seems tasty, I am learning from you because learning never ends http://elearningz.com

Kevin said...

An exceptional recipe and I have never seen it before like this recipe. Looking so delicious.

Katie G. M. said...

We love chard!

Lana P. said...

I love chard, but many people I know don't like it. I always try to cook something new, and this looks like my next cooking attempt for this weekend, haha :)
I don't like people who say "Oh, so all you eat is vegetable with some vegetable?" meaning that I'm a vegetarian (or I prefer cooking and eating that way).
I would send them right away to the cooking school I've been attending because they taught me to cook some really delicious dishes, fully vegetarian but tasty at the same time. Your Swiss chard recipe is an example of cooking with vegetarian ingredients, it looks great, and I bet it is also delicious :) So thank you for this recipe, I'm looking forward to try it!
Lana